About Emergency Radio Long Island REACT
Emergency Radio Long Island REACT Team serves Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties by providing assistance for emergencies and disasters. We strive to keep both the communities we serve, and its citizens safe.
We provide assistance to a variety of disaster related situations including:
· Severe Flooding
· Man Made emergencies
· Emergency Shelter Operations
· Skywarn Observation and Reporting
· Interstate Emergency and Welfare Traffic
· Urban and Wilderness Search and Rescue missions
We also provide assistance to public events including:
· Bike tours
· Amateur Radio testing
· GMRS Communication Training
· And more..
The purpose of our organization is to assist the public during emergencies. We provide communications for shelter operations, on-scene communications for communities that are directly impacted by severe weather, natural and man-made disasters and search & rescue of missing persons in Nassau and Suffolk New York counties. We work closely with and in direct communication with Fire, Police and Office of Emergency Management, providing boots on the ground from the affected areas of the two counties we operate in. Our organization also offers Welfare Checks for Long Island families to check on friends and family members in other states that are affected by a disaster.
A Brief History of REACT – An International Organization
· In 1962, REACT was founded by Henry B. Kreer. By 1964 the REACT organization set out to create a National CB Emergency Channel.
· In 1972, Channel 9 became the official National CB Emergency Channel under the Federal Communication Commission rules.
· Since then, REACT chapters have watched over their communities, providing assistance in emergencies.
· They have also assisted in times of national tragedy, supporting agencies at work at “Ground Zero” after September 11, 2001.